There are some medical conditions that MAY prevent you from diving, if you suffer from any of the conditions below you must consult a doctor before starting to dive.
Before diving with the club (including try-dives) you will need to sign a medical form confirming that you do not suffer from any of the following conditions. If you do answer “yes” then don’t worry – you might still be able to dive – but you need to get authorisation from a Diving Doctor. The UK Sports Diving Medical Committee is the independent body that looks after divers in the UK. Their website is here: ukdmc.org
Being a London club it makes sense to recommend a Diving Doctor in London, and the easiest to contact currently are those at
London Diving Chamber in St. John’s Wood. London Diving Chamber – BSAC referrals
London Hyperbaric Medical at Whipps Cross in East London LHM – diving medical referrals
Do contact the Diving Officer for more information.
- Have you suffered at any time from diseases of the heart and circulation including high blood pressure, angina, chest pains and palpitations?
- Have you at any time had chest or heart surgery?
- Have you suffered from or had to take medication for asthma?
- Have you ever had collapsed lung or pneumothorax?
- Have you ever had any other chest or lung disease?
- Have you suffered at any time from blackouts, fainting or recurrent dizziness?
- Have you had regular ear problems in the past ten years?
- Do you have an ileostomy, colostomy or ever had repair of a hiatus hernia?
- Have you ever had epilepsy or fits?
- Have you had recurrent migraines?
- Have you ever had any other disease of the brain or nervous system (including strokes or multiple sclerosis)?
- Have you ever had any back or spinal surgery?
- Have you any history of mental or psychological illness of any kind, fear of small spaces, crowds or panic attacks?
- Have you any history of alcohol or drug abuse in the past five years?
- Do you have diabetes?
- Are you currently taking any prescribed medication (except the contraceptive pill)?
- Are you currently receiving medical care or have you consulted the doctor in the last year other than for trivial infection or minor injury?
- Have you ever been refused a diving medical certificate or life insurance or been offered special terms?
- Have you ever had, or been treated for, decompression illness?